Wednesday, April 28, 2010

MFA Thesis

I turned in my thesis this month. Hurray! It is nice to have this big project completed.

The title of my thesis is "Character Identity: Role Development in Crafting Narrative."
In my thesis I examine how roles help a writer create multi-dimensional characters and strengthen plot. I plan to use my thesis as the basis for my graduating student lecture which I'll give next January on campus.

We have two theses in my MFA program at Vermont College of Fine Arts: a critical thesis and a creative thesis.

Next semester is my creative thesis. My creative thesis will be the young adult thriller that I've been working on for a couple semesters. (I've also written picture books, short stories, and nonfiction in my MFA program as I've learned all I could about writing for children.) I am currently revising it using feedback from my advisor, Kathi Appelt.

I love the way Vermont College works and the intense mentoring I get from great teachers.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Sarah;
Both projects sound so exciting - what an amazing program!
Congratulations on turning in ur first thesis; all of your hard work is paying off!

Anonymous said...

Yay! on turning in the thesis!

Meg Wiviott said...

Congratulations, Sarah! Must be a huge weight off your shoulders. I know it's weighing on mine.

Anne M Leone said...

Congrats! Must be great to have that first thesis handed in!

Ginger Johnson said...

Congratulations, Sarah! It's such a relief, isn't it?