Monday, August 9, 2010

Vermont College of Fine Arts Residency and summer travels

College Hall

A few brief highlights from my Vermont College of Fine Arts residency:
I was in a small group workshop which allowed time for other writing craft activities in addition to the normal VCFA workshop/laboratory.
I attended many incredible lectures, which covered a wide range of writing craft issues.
Visiting authors Gregory Maguire and Holly Black came to campus for Fantasy Day.

My next advisor is Martine Leavitt! She writes both fantasy (Keturah and Lord Death, a National Book award finalist) and contemporary young adult novels. She was one of my workshop leaders during my first residency at VCFA and I am excited to work with her again.

This coming semester is my final semester: during the next five months I'll complete my creative thesis and prepare a lecture which I'll give at January residency.

I am now back in Germany, after spending my summer traveling, visiting friends and family. Luckily, I was in Oregon when the wild blackberries were ripe and I enjoyed eating warmed by the sun, juicy, drop in your hand, ripe blackberries. It has been years since I've enjoyed fresh NW blackberries. I checked on my walk yesterday and the German blackberries are just starting to turn black, so I'll be hunting for a good blackberry patch here in Frankfurt.
Here are two photos from my travels: a waterfall in the forest in the Cascade Mountains and sea lions with the Newport bridge in the background at the Oregon Coast.

No comments: