Friday, June 17, 2011

Writing Craft: Tension

I'm blogging in Through the Tollbooth this week.

I'd love to have you come visit me.
On Monday I talked about tension and character. I look at some of the ways characters add tension to a novel. I get into topics such as desire, flawed characters, internal struggles, and choices.

On Wednesday I talked about tension and plot or macro tension. Premise, plot design, stakes, subplots, and conflict are a few of the techniques I explore as I look at ways we can create more tension with plot.

Friday's topic is tension on the page, or micro tension. These types of tensions include cliffhangers, white space, and subtext, and several other techniques.

Come swing by the tollbooth. I'd love to hear what type of tension in books is your favorite and what makes a book a page-turner for you.

No comments: