Sunday, September 14, 2008

Moon Festival


Happy Moon Festival.
This evening is the Mid-Autumn Festival in China. This important holiday is also called the Lantern Festival. We ate mooncakes. We got together with friends, ate, and watched the brilliant, full harvest moon.

Here are some of my kids with their lanterns (not lit--I'm not brave enough to use candles inside fabric lanterns) and masks which they received at a spectacular event ("Mid-Autumn Festival Reception of Chinese Traditional Operas" organized by the government of Guangdong Province) we attended a few nights ago.

This is as close as I'll come to posting photos of my family online.
I have no idea why they received masks in their gift bags, because I don't think it is part of the celebration. But perhaps it is.

Step outside tonight and look at your moon. I hope your autumn moon is as bright as ours.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so neat!

lizzy_lyn said...

I didn't know you had such a large family! What a great experience for them!

Melinda said...

Cool masks!

It is comforting to know that the same moon is shining on both of us. Well, not at the same time though because you are on the other side of the world...

I'm just sayin.

Melinda said...

Also, that pic makes me miss your kids.

They are welcome to come and make cookies at my house anytime.

Sarah Blake Johnson said...

Lizzy lyn--Yes, I have a large family--6 kids.

Thanks, Melinda. My kids would love to return and make cookies and play with your kids! And we'd have time to visit.
I think we'll be in your area next June.

Melinda said...

I'll be counting the days...

Those were some of the best cookies I have EVER eaten. Probably because your daughter didn't follow the recipe... That's the sign of a true cook, you know.

Of course I want to visit with you too, the cookies are just a bonus. :-)