Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Link Medley: Hunger Mountain, Write at Your Own Risk, and Sita's Ramayana


Hunger Mountain Literary Magazine released their latest issue, and it's available online. Be sure to read "A Cut-Out Face," a great short story by Mima Tipper. Also check out "Idiosyncratic Tone in the Novel" by Wendy Voorsanger, a superb writing craft piece that discusses tone and shaping language.

Recent insightful posts in the blog, Write at Your Own Risk, include "Touching Silence" by Uma Krishnaswami, "Finding Stuff Out" by Leda Schubert, and "Writing Roots" by Laura Kvasnosky. Also don't miss, "Making a List" by Kathi Appelt where she talks about making her list of 100 stories that "not only influenced my writing, but that live within the heart of every tale I've every told."

I'm still mulling over these posts, thinking about my writing roots, how I do research, where I "touch" silence in my creative process, and which 100 books should go on my own list.

Also, Sita's Ramayana, by Samhita Arni and Moyna Chitrakar, appears on the New York Times best sellers list for graphic books. In this version, the story is told from the viewpoint of Sita, the queen. It is brilliant. (A review can be found in the New York Journal of Books. ) Sita's Ramayana is published in North America by Groundwood Books.

I looked through this wonderful book at the Frankfurt Book Fair in the Tara Books booth--it's a another example of the high quality books that Tara Books always publishes. They also recently published another great graphic novel, I See the Promised Land, about Martin Luther King--which received Special Mention in this year's White Ravens Catalogue at the Bologna Book Fair.





1 comment:

Angela said...

I will check it out. Glad you went to Frankfurt - I also love Tara Books!