Thursday, May 31, 2012

Botanical Garden: Palmengarten in Frankfurt

One of my favorite places in Frankfurt is Palmengarten, a very large (over 70 acres) botanical garden. It isn't far from where I live, so I often walk through the gardens and various plant halls.
Sometimes I take a notebook, sit on a bench, and write.

Here are a few photos I've taken over the past couple years.

Palmengarten and the entrance building

Spring bulbs. The lawns are filled with color during April and May

An autumn view of the lake. A waterfall is to the left and underneath is a cavern.
Flower in front of one of the garden halls
Rowboats on a lake in Palmengarten

Small greenhouse--this is one of the smallest in Palmengarten. Most greenhouses are very large halls.

One of the many statues that are carefully placed in the gardens.
Palmenhouse--one of the large buildings filled with plants. This one is filled with tropical plants. The ceiling is about 40 feet above the floor.
I use my time in Palmengarten to both enjoy the scenery and to think about whatever I happen to be working on with my writing at that moment.

I also enjoy seeing the various birds and their babies. Most are waterfowl (such as swans, ducks, moorhens, geese--brown European geese and bar-headed geese, and a heron) but there are also many other birds including blackcaps, pigeons, crows, magpies, dunnocks and more. I've also seen rooks while walking to the gardens.
Here are two bird photos:

Bar-headed geese in Palmengarten. (They are stunningly beautiful.)

Gray Heron at the lake. Normally these turtles don't have to share their sunny log. The other side of the lake has rowboats and paddle boats.

Sometimes after I walk through the gardens with my family, we drop by Siesmayer (restaurant/cafe/confectionary shop) and buy some treats. I highly recommend visiting Siesmayer if you are ever in Frankfurt!
The box has plastic windows: brilliant marketing!

 My favorite is the chocolate framboise--a gluten free chocolate-raspberry cake, with a pistachio on top! Yum! I'll miss this when I move away.

 A few more of their desserts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! It makes me miss Germany.